It’s inevitable, WE GET OLD. There is no way around it. We live our lives and make crazy faces while doing it. Meaning we use the muscles in our faces, creating little lines here and there. But the longer we do this, or the older we get, those lines become more and more apparent. Some of us see those as lines of pride, success and maturity. While others, like myself, find them to be a nuisance, almost annoying and we don’t notice our other beautiful features because of those lines. So lets talk on the basics BOTOX and what you want and need to know.
Now, I know there are a lot of creams and serums that promise to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, give you a tighter face, etc…and I love many of them, but not necessarily for these features. I really don’t noticed as much of those benefits, but I do love them because they are great for hydrating, brightening and clearing up my skin (you can read about my faves here and here).
Insert BOTOX (there are others that do the same, but for the sake of this post I’ll refer to BOTOX). Let’s be honest…NOTHING does the job quite like BOTOX. I mean, when done right, you look so amazing, so refreshed and rejuvenated. I’m going to assume anyone reading this post has either had it, thinking about it or at least heard about it. It’s funny, there is this huge stigma around BOTOX, and really aesthetics in general, but everyone is doing it. So why are we not talking more about it? Why is it this big secret?
It shouldn’t be something we don’t talk about. We spend hundreds, even thousand of dollars a year on our skin and beauty care products, gym memberships, spray tans, facials, etc…I like to think of BOTOX as another one of those beauty care items we shouldn’t feel guilty about investing in. Many of you know that I have started my journey as an aesthetic nurse, so I want to share my journey with you. I want you all to learn along with me!
I want to start by sharing what I have learned about BOTOX. This is something most people are interested in, need to have and what I get the most questions about. So here are the basics of BOTOX and what you need to know before heading to your appointment.
The Basics of Botox
- What is BOTOX? It’s a neurotoxin that relaxes the muscle under the wrinkle to ease the look of wrinkles and fine lines. It’s actually diluted from its natural form and then injected using the tinest of needles. If injected properly you don’t need to worry about the muscle being completely relaxed; this way you won’t look frozen.
- How long does it last? BOTOX usually lasts about 3 to 4 months before you see it start to wear off. Follow appoints will be necessary to keep the desired result long-term. If you’re consistant with it for a year or two, you may notice that you can go longer between appointments, or even have the potential of needing less units.
- How much does it cost? BOTOX is usually priced “per unit” which is the measurement of solution used. Prices will vary depending on where you live and the experience or medical expertise. In general you will find it typically ranges from $9 to $20 per unit. The number of units needed varies from person to person. TO achieve your desired results your provider will help determine how much you will need. The more prominent your lines and wrinkles, you can expect more units of BOTOX® will be necessary to achieve the result you want, especially on the first visit.
- What is getting BOTOX like? A treatment doesn’t take much time. I usually allow 30 minutes for a first appointment. This gives you time to discuss your areas of concern, and determine the amount you will need. It’s also all about your comfort. If you have been treated with your practitioner before then it can Some treatments take as little as 10 minutes. Just a few quick pokes and you are out the door. After treatment, you may notice some redness or swelling at the injection sites; do’t worry it only lasts for a few minutes. But, over all, you should be back to your day in no time. You may have some bruising, this is totally normal and will subside within a few days.
- Are the results immediate? Unfortunately no, it takes two weeks for optimal results. You may see some benefits after a week, but definately wait the full two weeks before deciding whether you’re happy with your results or need a few more units. So if you have an event coming up plan your appointment at least two weeks in advance!
There are so many negative thoughts around aesthetics and I truly want to break it. It’s not about the people you see that have over done it or even just went to the wrong practitioner. Those are an extreme, the majority of the people that get treatment you probably know and would have NO IDEA. This is the ideal. It should be natural and make you feel confident in your own skin. It should be one of those things where people can tell you look refreshed, but can’t quite put their finger on what is different.
Sheri, from Allure Rejuvenation Center, and I have been doing LIVE At Five with Sheri + Kallie twice a month. We have been doing live demos, and will be incorporating Q&A sessions. Be sure you’re following us in Instagram so you don’t miss out on these (@kallieflexman + @allurerejuvenationcenter). I will also upload these soon to my YouTube channel for your reference later, you can subscribe here!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Get Out There and have a Gorgeous day!