Halloween is such a fun holiday. I remember as a kid we would run from house to house getting as much candy as we could. In Kansas City it was often cool and even rainy. So on those nights my dad would take out the seat in our van and drive us around from street to street. It was so much fun running around with friends, laughing and being silly. One thing was for sure, my parents always made sure that we had a fun and safe Halloween night.
I can remember my parents always reviewing a few rules with us. Like staying in groups, don’t go in houses and using the sidewalks to name a few. So as we head into Halloween celebrations starting this weekend through the holiday, I thought I’d share some tips and tricks to ensure your kids have a fun and safe Halloween night.
Tips and Tricks for a Fun and Safe Halloween
- Eat a good, healthy dinner – with all the candy and sweet treats that are consumed on Halloween, ensure your kids get a good, healthy meal before heading out.
- Stay on sidewalks – most kids know this fact any other day of the year, but sometimes the excitement for Trick or Treating and going from house to house kids forget. Remind them that it’s still important to use sidewalks and crosswalks because cars often have trouble seeing them at night.
- Watch for cars – many people celebrate Halloween with parties and
- Comfy shoes – I know my girls always want the cute costume shoes, but these aren’t realistic. Have your kids wear comfortable and well supported shoes.
- Safe costumes – Aim for costumes with light colors, reflectors and watch for unsafe additions to costumes like long capes, ribbons, etc..
- Carry a light source – glow stick, wear a glow bracelet or necklace, flashlight
- Safety in numbers – as kids get older they may want to start venturing out alone. Ensure they are going with a few friends and talk to them about not leaving anyone alone or going up ahead without their friends
- Stay hydrated – running around from house to house and snacking on candy in between can often leave kids thirsty and dehydrated. Pack some waters. We love these super cute Nestlé® Pure Life® Halloween mini bottles (we found ours at Walmart), that are small and easy to throw in your bag or wagon.
What are some of your tried and true rules to follow for Halloween? I’d love for you to add to the list by commenting below!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Now, Get Out There Gorgeous and have a fantastic week!