With Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale and a ton of mid-summer sales kicking off last week it got me thinking about those days I use to be able to get up whenever I wanted, take my time getting ready and really, just get out and about when I finally felt like getting out. Further more, I was thinking about being able to leisurely walk through a department store and shop for clothes, try them on and spend however long I wanted in the dressing room going back and forth between pieces to really determine what I “needed” for my closet.
Now, my days are filled with getting up before sunrise to enjoy my coffee and a little peace and quiet before the madness begins, getting ready in about 10 minutes, going to parks and rushing my way through any store because my girls are mobile and get antsy being in one place too long. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life as a mom and spending time with my kids. I mean, I’m totally that girl who finally gets out by myself during nap time to run a few errands or maybe even shop, but will still kinda hurry through so I can get back home and be with my family.
But, shopping with toddlers is HARD. It consists of a lot of whining, bargaining/negotiating and a ton of snacks, drinks and entertainment. With that said, if I really need to get in some good shopping I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to help me, and them, get through it. I think the key to making your trip successful is to have options. Guuuurl get yourself an oversized tote and fill it up with all kinds of things to get the kids busy.
So, here are a few tips + tricks I use when I need to get some shopping done, whether it be for groceries, clothes, holiday etc….
- Make a List – making list and actually take it with you….come on, I’m not the only one who makes a lists only to leave at home and forget a couple of things, then having to head back out later….OR AM I???
- Pick the Right Time: I have found that picking the right time makes a huuuuuge difference. For us, the best time is about ten in the morning. Aria has been up for a while, has been fed and we’ve already gotten in a lot of playing. This is also a really good snack time, more on this later. Amelia is so chill that for her anytime works. I think find the time when your child feels the most rested, not hungry and ready for activities.
- Snacks, Snacks and MORE Snacks: In my experience kids not only love snacks, but they love options. So, this is where having that oversized tote comes in handy. I usually pack 2-3 options for Aria to choose from (Amelia eats anything so she’s easy). This makes her feel like she has a choice and control over what she’s getting. It really helps keep the peace. Having snacks, and DON’T forget the milk or water, is the best thing to keep them in their stroller while you look
- Activities + Toys: So I am a big fan of those coloring books that use the clear magic marker (options here here here), but color shows up on the page; as well as the On The Go Water Wow books. These come with a paint brush you fill with water to color on the page (here here here). The latter is awesome because once the page dries the color disappears and they can keep coloring them over and over….it’s pretty much amazing! So these are the things I bring out while I’m in the dressing room. The girls always want to get out and move around a bit, but activities like these keep them contained while I try things on
- Know Your Limits: This is a biggie, but it also just comes with trial and error when taking the kids out and about with you. When you have tried all of the above tricks + any of your other go-to’s, and nothing seems to be working, then your littles have reached their ability to handle anymore. Respect this and call it a day, otherwise you’ll be that mom with the kicking, screaming and crying child(ren) traipsing through the store.
By no means am I an expert, nor do these work every time I go out. Sometimes kids just aren’t into it and you will just have to go out during an off time with them, during nap time (if someone is home with them) or even after you put them down for bed.
PHOTOGRAPHY THANKS TO SARAH EICHSTEDT
Top: Zara, similar // Jeans: Old Navy // Wedges: Steve Madden // Purse: Zara, ON SALE, similar // Hat: Target // Sunnies: Ilymix (use code Kallie20 for 20% off your purchase) // Aria’s shorts and sandals, purse Maddy’s Boutique
I am always looking fo rmore ideas, tips and tricks because as all you moms and dads know, what works one day is mostly likely not going to work the next time, or even the time after that. Please share any of your tried and true ideas, I’D LOVE TO HEAR THEM!!!
Thanks you all for stopping by, I hope you have such an amazing week!
Shopping with kids is never easy! These should come in handy for me too!
PS – Love your little one – she is so adorable!!
Jessica | notjessfashion.com
kallie flexman says
Thank you Jessica! It’s both fun and challenging at the same time!
Kamen Kamenov says
What an awesome and informative post my darling. Your five rules are really a great help for the mommies and I really enjoyed reading it. Lots of love .
Ps… Aria and u are so stylish
Thomas Falkenstedt says
When going from total freedom controlling what you do, like I as a single guy do, it must be a huge life changer to get children. I am sure, just like you said, that you love being a mom, but adjusting to that life must be quite a dramatic one and I can’t even imagine everything that’s involved. With that said, I see you’re taking a sober decision by setting up guidelines in how to make life work even when you have toddlers and the last point about knowing your limits is basically what it’s all about. The pics are so cute by the way! 🙂
You two are so adorable and love these photos! Great tips! I don’t have kids, but I’ve seen other people try to shop with their kids and looks like a lot of work! Hope they all read these useful tips!
So nice of you to share! 🙂
Because I don’t have kids I honestly can’t even imagine how hard shopping with them must be, but I definitely have a newfound respect for you moms out there that do! I can’t even imagine all that you go through. I think it’s so great you shared your tips, I bet so many moms will benefit from this xox.
So cute! I can’t wait to go shopping with my kids someday when I have some haha